Wednesday 5 August 2015

In Sickness and Health

Sometimes we forget how good God actually is to us and take His blessings for granted. We feel things like a good night rest, good health, daily bread are norms and that's why sometimes He gives us a little reminder of how good He is to us. That's what happened to me this past week. I'd forgotten what it felt like to be sick, to have pains all over, having to take drugs daily, lack of appetite, wishing you could have strength to do the simple things like brushing your teeth without stress, cook and eat, the joy of closing your eyes and sleeping off immediately and waking up healthy and strong...so I got a little reminder.
   The last time I fell seriously ill, I think I was probably 9 or 10 and I don't even remember what it felt like. So, when I fell ill last week, all the memories came rushing back. At first I tried ignoring the pains and felt it would be nothing serious and would soon pass. but as the days passed, it became serious and before I knew it, I was at the hospital. At first, I was bitter about the whole stuff, I mean, why would God allow me "His favorite" to fall ill? I felt betrayed. Then I looked around while I was in the waiting room, waiting to see the doctor, I saw a man who was halfway gone...he couldn't move a muscle, couldn't even keep his eyes closed or open, he was just lying on the stretcher drooling. As if that wasn't enough I saw a group of people who were receiving lectures on living with HIV since they were all infected. There were sick people around me who couldn't even move on their own, had to be placed on a wheel chair, others didn't even have enough money to pay their bills and here I was complaining. I felt so bad, I was having slight malaria and typhoid which I could not remember the last time that happened to me and I was thinking I was in a bad condition. To make matters worse, when I was admitted for observation, I saw some others who were in far worse condition and I think someone even died before I was discharged later that evening...
I learnt a lesson that week, to be grateful because in whatever situation I find myself I'm better off and also, that position or situation is actually someone else's prayer point.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment